I wasn’t on top of my mommy game this weekend. I had the bright idea of taking V, by myself, to visit family for a few days. Note to self: take husband with me next time.

We’ve made this trip a hundred times before without incident. This weekend, however, was nothing short of exhausting. I’m talking burn-the-midnight-oil-cramming-for-college-finals exhausting. V decided to wake up at 6:00am two mornings in a row, then at 5:00am the third morning, a good two and a half hours earlier than normal. Already sleep deprived because I didn’t see this coming and stayed up too late on Friday night, I was soooo looking forward to his two hour nap so that I, too, could take a two hour nap. Nap? What nap? V clearly had other plans. He simply wouldn’t take one. Not Saturday. Not Sunday. And not Monday.

Didn’t he realize that his decision to wake up too early and forego his nap was turning his mom in to a grumpy, pissed off, irritated, nasty, nasty woman? Evidently he didn’t notice. But why would he? He had loads of family and friends around us the entire time, lavishing him with plenty of attention. He didn’t need me. That was fine, except that I would have preferred it if I could’ve slipped away to catch a few zzzz’s. That didn’t happen, but at least I had other people there to play baseball with him, read him books, chase him, tickle him, and generally entertain him while I drank as much caffeine as I could, as fast as I could. The only thing that accomplished, by the way, was making me an amped-out grumpy, pissed off, irritated, nasty, nasty woman.

Come Monday, my patience had completely disappeared. Three days of not enough sleep turned V in to a grumpy, pissed off, irritated, cranky, cranky little man. He was suddenly unable to communicate unless it was accompanied by excessive whining and crying. I wanted to kill myself.

I couldn’t deal and nearly lost it. I didn’t know what to do, so I did what all grumpy, pissed off, irritated, nasty, nasty moms do. I let him call the shots to shut him up. I turned on his Bob the Builder DVD, gave him cookies, and proceeded to fall asleep on the sofa while he sat quietly in his chair eating his cookies and watched TV.

Luckily for me, nothing terrible happened while I took my much-needed catnap. I felt guilty for being such a bad mom, but at the same time I woke up feeling much less irritated. As a result, I was able to muster up the energy to sit down and play with my son for two hours until my husband came home, at which time I instantly felt relieved that help had arrived. The good part is that help had arrived. The bad part is that help had a hard day too and wasn’t willing to take care of V while I went to bed. So, help and I teamed up and made it through until 8:00pm – at which time V went to bed, followed shortly thereafter by help and I.